To allow users to communicate with users in different VLANs through Layer 3 routing, in addition to configuring Layer 3 interfaces for VLANs, you also need to enable IP routing function on Layer 3 switches.
By default, IP routing function is disabled. If you want to implement the Layer 3 inter-VLAN routing function of the switch, you need to enable the IP routing function first. Similarly, you can configure the system to disable IP routing if you want to disable the Layer 3 inter-VLAN routing function on the switch. When the IP routing function is disabled, the switch can function only as a Layer 2 switch.
Configuring IP Routing
• Use the following command to enable or disable IP routing function.
set ip routing enable [true | false]
The default setting is set ip routing enable false. The command takes effect immediately after committing.
As shown in Figure 1, User1 and User2 are in the same department of the company but belong to different VLANs and are located on different network segments. Follow the configuration steps below to achieve User1 and User2 can communicate with each other.
1. Create a VLAN and specify the VLAN to which the user belongs.
2. Add an interface to the VLAN.
3. Create a Layer 3 interface and configure the IP address.
4. Enable IP routing function to achieve inter-VLAN routing.
On User1 and User2, add a route with the default gateway to be the IP address of the corresponding Layer 3 VLAN interface.
Figure 1. Network of Inter-VLAN Routing
Step1 Create VLAN2 and VLAN3 on Switch.
Step2 Add interfaces connected to user terminals to different VLANs.
Step3 Associate a Layer 3 interface with the VLAN.
Step4 Configure IP address of the Layer 3 interface.
Step5 Enable IP routing function.
Step6 Commit the Configuration.
Step7 Verify the Configuration.
- After the configuration is complete, User1 in VLAN2 and User2 in VLAN3 can communicate with each other.
- When IP routing function is disabled on the Switch, User1 in VLAN2 and User2 in VLAN3 will be unreachable when pinging each other.
- Use show route forward-route brief command to view the information of IP routing table. If IP routing function is disabled, the command results "Ip routing is disable".